G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra

• G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Skip Woods wrote an early draft of the film, which featured Alex Mann (aka Britain's Action Man) and the evil Naja/Ryan, a corrupt CIA agent. Scarlett is married to Action Man but still has feelings for Duke, and is killed by the Baroness. Snake-Eyes speaks at the start, but his vocal cords are slashed during the story, rendering him mute.

• Larry Hama: Hama, the creator of G.I. Joe (1985), was hired as a creative consultant on the film. He also got a cameo, as a NATO general during the nanomite presentation. The role was cut during editing, and he can only be seen in wide shots of the NATO assembly.

• G.I. Joe: Real American Hero was rebranded in the UK as Action Force: International Heroes and the characters bio with the figures, and profiles within the comics were accordingly changed to reflect the team's international make up and non-affiliation to any single country. The influence of the marketing techniques used outside the US for the toys and comics can be seen reflected in this movie.

• In the Pit, a red shirt is seen on a wall. This is the common outfit of the JOE soldier Bazooka.

• The first two levels of the Pit (G.I. Joe's underground base) were constructed at the Downey soundstage; the rest is CGI.

• At the end, the G.I. Joe team is on an aircraft carrier that appears to be the USS Flagg, bearing the number 99. The toyline and comic books featured the same ship.

• Stephen Sommers took great care over the technology depicted in the film, going through various books/magazines about weapons technology. He feels that almost 100% of the technology can be developed within 10-20 years.

• The marking on Snake Eye's right shoulder come from the Eight Trigrams. The top marking is Water, the lower marking is Fire. Together, in the I-Ching, the symbol means "Completion".

• The Paris action scenes were filmed in 14 days in Dejvice, Czech Republic, in Prague. Filmmakers built shops with flowers, changed school names, and parked many old French-manufactured cars in the area. The Baron's laboratory was filmed in Vysocany in the headquarters of the big company Sazka.

• Martial artist/stuntman Ray Park had little knowledge of the G.I. Joe saga, but as a child he had played with a Snake-Eyes action figure. He was thus delighted to play a childhood hero of his. To prepare for the role, he practiced wushu training and studied Snake-Eyes's appearances in the G.I. Joe (1985) comic/television series. Afterwards he approached writer Kevin VanHook and artist S. L. Gallant with the idea of a G.I. Joe comic further exploring his incarnation of the character.

• Rachel Nichols was the first choice for the role of Scarlett O'Hara.

• Dr Mindbender was never intended to be in the film, he was just a nameless character meant to inspire Rex to become Cobra Commander. The producers put in the name to please fans.

• Christopher Eccleston revealed in a interview that he hated the film.

• In the final battle, Heavy Duty says "Yo Joe!", the original battle cry used in G.I. Joe (1985).

• The accelerator suits are designated "Delta-6". This is a reference to the similarly-designated series G.I. Joe: Sigma 6 (2005).

• The interior of Destro's submarine was based on a Handley Page Jetsream plane.

• Emma Roberts turned down the role of Scarlett.

• In the comics and the cartoon, G.I. Joe was a strictly American unit. Any non-Americans were either on loan or immigrants. The way Hawk depicts them as a high tech strike force that has resources from Western Democracies is actually the premise of Megaforce (1982). Both the movie Megaforce and the modern comic G.I. Joe this film is based on came out the same year, 1982. Commercials for both could be seen on TV during that time. Ads for Megaforce could be found in GI Joe comics. Both inspired toy lines, but Megaforce's poor box office performance sealed its fate.

• The Baroness derisively calls Duke and Ripcord "real American heroes", the tagline of the G.I. Joe series.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb