American Beauty - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Christopher Greenbury was the initial editor, but had to leave halfway through post-production because of a scheduling conflict with Me, Myself & Irene (2000) (which Chris Cooper also starred in). Sam Mendes and an assistant edited the film for ten days between the appointments.

• American Beauty - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Chris Cooper was the last actor cast, virtually when rehearsals were beginning. When he first read the script, he found the character infuriating, thinking, "God, do I want to spend so much time in this character's head?" He remembers, "Then I started making excuses...I said, this is such a negative script, I don't like this and that." His wife finally told him he was "frightened of this script and chances are because you're frightened, you should do this part;" his response was that he "knew, really immediately, that she was right."

• David Lynch turned down an offer to direct.

• Part of Lester Burnham's line to his wife Carolyn Burnham, "come on baby, I'm ready!" was used while advertising movies on the radio early in the new millennium.

• The point of Jane's topless scene in the film is that it is about Jane's transformation from a girl to a woman and that Jane is opening up to Ricky about her insecurities by baring herself to him and that the scene is about coming of age and about how you deal with and accept change.

• Jake Gyllenhaal and Seth Green auditioned for the role of Ricky Fitts.

• The Spartanettes' dance routine was choreographed by singer Paula Abdul.

• Sam Mendes cut much of Barbara's dialogue, including conversations between her and Colonel Fitts, as he felt that what needed to be said about the pair-their humanity and vulnerability-was conveyed successfully through their shared moments of silence.

• Jessica Biel was originally cast as Jane Burnham but had to drop out due to conflicts with 7th Heaven (1996) producer Aaron Spelling. The part then went to Thora Birch.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb