Brighton Beach Memoirs - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Brighton Beach Memoirs or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Brighton Beach Memoirs

• Brighton Beach Memoirs - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Matthew Broderick, who won a Tony Award for playing Eugene Morris Jerome on Broadway, was not available for the film version due to his commitment to Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986). Broderick later played Eugene in the film version of Biloxi Blues (1988). Jonathan Silverman, who plays Eugene in this film, had taken over the role for Broderick in the Broadway runs of "Brighton Beach Memoirs" and "Biloxi Blues." Silverman later played Eugene in the original Broadway production of "Broadway Bound," the third play in the trilogy. For the Broadway Bound (1992), Silverman played Stanley Jerome, Eugene's older brother, while Corey Parker played Eugene. Parker had also played Arnold Epstein, an Army buddy of Eugene's, alongside Broderick, in the film version of Biloxi Blues (1988).

• The name of the diary was "The Private Memoirs of Eugene Morris Jerome".

• Jason Alexander plays one of the men in the pool hall who con Stanley. On Broadway, he played the role of Stanley in the sequel to Brighton Beach Memoirs, Broadway Bound.

• Neil Simon's play premiered in 1983, the year he and Marsha Mason separated and divorced.

• Blythe Danner's daughter, Gwyneth Paltrow, played in the movie Two Lovers (2008) which was also set in Brighton Beach.

• In an interview with Ron Base of "The Toronto Star' published on 27th December 1986, writer Neil Simon said: "'Brighton Beach' was going to be another singular play....Again, I still hadn't thought of a trilogy. But I decided to take Eugene the next step chronologically in my life, which was the army. But even after I wrote 'Biloxi Blues', I still didn't think about a sequel, because if it turned out to be a bomb, why would one want to do a sequel? So I just waited to see what would happen. Well, Biloxi enjoyed enormous success, and I thought of a third part".

• As customary for most of the filmed versions of his plays, playwright Neil Simon penned the screenplay for this movie of his 1983 Tony Award winning play "Brighton Beach Memoirs".

• Although the autobiographical character of Eugene is 15 or 16 in the story, Neil Simon was only 10 years old in 1937.

• The original Broadway theatre production of "Brighton Beach Memoirs" was directed by actor-producer-director Gene Saks who also directed this film version. Saks also directed the Simon written films The Odd Couple (1968), Barefoot in the Park (1967), and Last of the Red Hot Lovers (1972). Saks also co-starred in Simon's The Prisoner of Second Avenue (1975).

• When Neil Simon's "Brighton Beach Memoirs" play was launched on Broadway, Simon had another play, "Actors and Actresses" playing in an out-of-town tryout and a penned feature film Max Dugan Returns (1983) in national cinema release.

• The original Broadway play opened in 1983 and ran for more than 3 years and 1,299 performances. The 2009 revival was a huge flop and ran for only 9 performances.

• This picture's opening title card reads: "1932 - Brighton Beach - Brooklyn, New York".

• This film was made and released about three years after its source play of the same name by Neil Simon was first performed in 1983. The original Broadway production of "Brighton Beach Memoirs" opened at the Alvin Theater on 27th March 1983 and transferred to the 46th Street Theatre on 26th February 1985. The play ran for a total of 1299 performances closing on 11th May 1986. The play was nominated for three 1983 Tony Awards, Best Featured Actress in a Play (Elizabeth Franz) and two for Best Featured Actor - Zeljko Ivanek and Matthew Broderick, with Broderick being the only successful actor to win. The New York Drama Critics Circle awarded "Brighton Beach Memoirs" the Best Play of its season. The play's setting is described in its intro as being "Brighton Beach, Brooklyn, New York. September, late 1930s".

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb