In the Bleak Midwinter - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of In the Bleak Midwinter or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to In the Bleak Midwinter

• In the Bleak Midwinter - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• According to writer and director Kenneth Branagh, "one of the greatest pleasures I had was when we had a screening on a Sunday morning in the West End, and most of the crew and cast came, including Joan Collins. I'd paid for the film myself with the money I made from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994), and we sold it at a profit. The books were completely open. And as they left the cinema that morning, we had all the envelopes laid out and we gave everybody a check, including Joan Collins, who nearly fell over. She said, 'I've been in the business for quite a long time, and this has never happened.' She opened it and she said, 'F**king hell!' Because it was not inconsiderable."

• When we see Terry (John Sessions) and Henry (Richard Briers) bunking together, their bedspreads are embroidered with the faces of Statler and Waldorf, the two elderly hecklers from The Muppet Show (1976). This is possibly a reference to Hugh Cruttwell and Russell Jackson, two of Sir Kenneth Branagh's teachers from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. Jackson and Cruttwell served as advisors on several of Branagh's movies. Crew members often commented that they resembled "the old guys from The Muppet Show (1976)" when they watched the monitors on-set.

• Sir Kenneth Branagh wrote the screenplay with Michael Maloney in mind for the lead.

• The film was shot in only 21 days.

• Joe Harper (the alter ego of Sir Kenneth Branagh) turns down a role in a big science fiction trilogy to return to his company to play Hamlet. Branagh was originally considered for the role of the younger Obi-wan Kenobi in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999).

• Michael Maloney (Joe Harper), Richard Briers (Henry Wakefield) and Nicholas Farrell (Tom Newman) all later appeared in the writer and director Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet (1996). They played Laertes, Polonius and Horatio respectively. Furthermore, Maloney played Rosencrantz in Franco Zeffirelli's Hamlet (1990) and Farrell provided the voice of Hamlet in Shakespeare: The Animated Tales: Hamlet (1992).

• This was the first film that Kenneth Branagh directed in which he did not appear.

• Jimmy Yuill was offered a key role, but had to pass because of his commitment to Wycliffe (1994).

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb