Arthur - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Arthur or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Arthur

• Arthur - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Tuesday Weld was originally offered the role of Linda Marolla, but turned it down.

• Burt Reynolds and Tom Selleck were considered for the role of Arthur.

• After shooting the scene where Arthur gets beaten up by his would-be father-in-law, Dudley Moore was still wearing his tattered costume and bloody make-up when he turned to his then-girlfriend Susan Anton (who was nearly eight and a half inches taller than him) in a Waldorf-Astoria elevator and said, "Susan, I told you I'd be home, why wouldn't you believe me?" The other elevator passengers were aghast.

• Sir John Gielgud turned down the role of Hobson several times, finally accepting it only because the salary he was offered was too good to pass up.

• Bud Cort was originally suggested for the role of Arthur. Apparently, Cort was actually cast in the part, but withdrew prior to principal photography.

• Although marketed as a mature comedy, the film also works as a dark downbeat relationship drama about a dysfunctional alcoholic spoilt pampered millionaire marrying to stay wealthy.

• Kay Lenz wanted the female lead role badly, because her previous attempts to be a movie star failed.

• In Liza Minnelli's dressing room, Dudley Moore, an accomplished pianist, would play her piano. Sometimes Minnelli would sing along. Other times, Jill Eikenberry (who portrayed Arthur's fiancée, Susan Johnson) played.

• Director Stewart Gordon and Dudley Moore argued over Arthur's accent. "I explained to the director I couldn't possibly do it as an American since I spent half the time trying to get my vowels right", Moore reasoned. The two continued the discussion of whether Moore should use an American accent even after filming had started, but Moore won out.

• This was the fourth most popular 1981 movie at the U.S. and Canadian box-offices.

• This movie did very well at the 1982 Academy Awards, winning two of its four nominations.

• Carrie Fisher and Debra Winger turned down the role of Linda Marolla.

• Charles Grodin was considered for the role of Arthur

• Apparently, Writer and Director Steve Gordon had originally wanted to cast George Segal in the lead role of Arthur. After the box-office success of 10 (1979) however, Dudley Moore replaced Segal. This movie was actually the second time that Moore replaced Segal. Segal was originally cast in the lead role in 10 (1979), but Segal apparently walked off the set shortly after filming began. Reportedly, this was rumored because Julie Andrews' role had been built up. Apparently, after 10 (1979) had been released, Segal, when once asked if he had seen the movie, allegedly replied with a finger gesture.

• Four different endings were shot. Director Steve Gordon still hadn't figured out which ending to use during editing. A rough cut, to which Dudley Moore objected, gave more of a focus on Arthur and Hobson's relationship than Arthur and Linda's.

• The Bach family fortune of seven hundred fifty million dollars would be (adjusted for inflation) approximately 2.1 billion dollars in 2018.

• In the numerous scenes where Arthur and Hobson are both present, Arthur is always sober and, with only two exceptions in the hospital scene, Hobson speaks every comedic line. In every scene where Arthur is drunk he speaks every comedic line, and Hobson is absent.

• According to Producer Charles H. Joffe, Sir John Gielgud "never really understood the jokes he was giving." According to Liza Minnelli, Gielgud kept turning to her and Dudley Moore asking if what he just said was funny. After this movie came out, Gielgud wrote to journalist George Pitcher, explaining that he was "very bucked" at the success of this movie. "I thought Liza so very good, and underestimated by the critics", Gielgud added. "Dudley screams too much at first, but gets better all through and is very charming and cooperative in the scenes with me. We also got on so wonderfully well together, despite that appalling heat."

• Jeff Bridges, Chevy Chase, Steve Martin, Bill Murray, Jack Nicholson, Sylvester Stallone, and Robin Williams were all considered for the lead role of Arthur.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb