Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed

• Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Peter Cushing deplored the inclusion of the rape scene and even apologized to his co-star Veronica Carlson.

• Unlike his on screen persona, Veronica Carlson very much enjoyed working with Peter Cushing. At one point during production, he took his leading lady out to dinner with Mrs. Helen Cushing.

• The re-release in Spain was limited and only in subtitled version.

• This film marks the return of director Terence Fisher after an extended absence from Hammer productions, as his films were considered too slow and emotional by this point. Fisher has mentioned in multiple interviews (and by his daughter's admittance), that this film was his personal favourite to make, along with Horror of Dracula (1958). After directing this film and The Devil Rides Out (1968), Fisher would once again be out of the picture for a while due to several car accidents. His final Hammer film was Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974).

• Peter Cushing hated the rape scene. He said that it was the hardest thing he had ever done in his career, because he didn't want people thinking of himself and Frankenstein as a sex fiend.

• During filming, Peter Cushing and Veronica Carlson gave an on set interview. When the interviewer referred to Cushing making yet another "Hammer" horror film, the actor pretended to burst into tears and this created some laughter.

• The characters of Insp. Frisch (Thorley Walters) and the Police Doctor were added to the script at a late stage.

• In a 2011 interview Veronica Carlson talked about how surreal it was the first day on the film. "The first day of that movie I was dressed up, all ringlets and everything, and my first scene was in the cellar with Peter and (director Terrence Fisher) just matter-of-factly sat us on the edge of the set and he asked, 'Exactly how would you like to kill her, Peter?' And they had this bizarre conversation about me as if I was not there! How Peter thought he would like to secure my demise after me damaging his creation. And it was very surreal and I was looking between Terry and Peter and I thought, oh I love this game! I was in my element. Just like when I was in art school."

• The fifth installment in Hammer Films' Frankenstein series.

• The controversial rape scene was added at the last minute, after shooting was nearly complete. Veronica Carlson talked about it in a 2011 interview. She said originally the plan was to have Peter Cushing strip off her blouse exposing her breasts, but Cushing refused. "We were all disgusted with it. (Hammer studio head) Jimmy Carreras came onto the set one day obviously upset because he'd had word from the higher-ups, the distributors, that there wasn't enough sex in the movie; there had to be a rape scene. Terry thought he was quite cross--I remember that--and I thought that was out of character for Jimmy, because he was a lovely, all-fatherly figure. Peter Cushing told me 'Darling, I don't like this any more than you do.' So we worked out how to do it, between us. They wanted him to strip me, to take hold of my neckline and tear it down to my waist, you see. Peter said, 'I'm not going to do this.' That's why we worked it out between ourselves. We assured Terry (Fisher) that we knew what we were doing. He let us do what we were comfortable with. After we shot the scene, Peter just held me. I was trembling and HE was trembling. We were both so upset. We just stayed there, very, very still until we composed ourselves and then we got up and walked out. It was the only time that I felt such a somber atmosphere on a Hammer film. It was terrible to remember, actually."

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb