The Raven - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of The Raven or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to The Raven

• The Raven - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Boris Karloff's first feature film since "Corridors of Blood (1958)," shot in September and October 1962.

• Jack Nicholson always gave high praise to everyone he worked with on the set, except one - the Raven. He said the Raven pooped on everyone, but especially liked to poop on him. He later said: "I would look down when the Raven flew off my shoulder, and it would be covered in poop. I hated that bird."

• Vincent Price later recalled about the final duel: "Boris hated being strung up in the air on those chairs. He was terribly crippled, and we were both floating in the air on these wires. It wasn't a pleasant feeling, and I hated having that snake wrapped around my neck for two hours. I hate snakes."

• Jack Nicholson's and Roger Corman's second film together.

• Boris Karloff later said he was annoyed at having to wear the heavy cape.

• In casting his spells, Dr. Adolphus Bedlo (Peter Lorre) used several Latin phrases: Veni vidi vici: I came, I saw, I conquered. De mortuis nil nisi bonum: Do not speak ill of the dead. Cave canem: Beware of the dog. Si vis pacem parabellum: If you want peace, prepare for war. Ceterum censio Carthaginem esse delendam: Furthermore, I believe that Carthage must be destroyed.

• The voice of Grimes (Craven's servant) has been very obviously looped by Corman regular Leo Gordon; presumably William Baskin's voice wasn't threatening enough.

• Roger Corman said that although they kept closely to the structure and story script "we did more improvisation on that film than any of the others." The improvisation was in terms of dialogue and bits of business from the actors.

• Boris Karloff is also in "The Raven (1935)." Both films are inspired by Poe's poem, but they each have their own story.

• Actress Hazel Court said: "All I remember of Jack Nicholson is that he used to say, 'Oh, I must go home and write tonight.' I don't know what he wrote, but he was always saying he was going to write."

• In Spain hadn't a theatrical release until 1983, 20 years later. The film was only released,with 1 copy- at first in Madrid (November/83, Alphaville 3) and later in Barcelona (December/83, Casablanca 2), only projected in subtitled version. The dubbed version was for VHS premiere (1984).

• The movie was shot in fifteen days.

• Boris Karloff's and Jack Nicholson's first film together.

• The sequence in which Karloff's castle is consumed by fire uses footage also seen in Roger Corman's 1960 Poe adaptation "House of Usher" (which also starred Vincent Price).

• The events in the film take place circa 1506 based on two clues offered early on. Dr. Erasmus Craven (Vincent Price) states that his father has been dead for twenty years years, and when they show the plate on the coffin the date of death is given as 1486.

• Peter Lorre and Jack Nicholson were fond of ad-libbing their lines, much to the annoyance of Boris Karloff, who was working from the script.

• Peter Lorre ad-libbed several famous lines in the film, including: "How the hell should I know?", after Vincent Price asks "shall I ever see the rare and radiant Lenore again?", "Where else?" after Price says "My father was interred below.", and "Hard place to keep clean."

• Producer and director Roger Corman and screenwriter Richard Matheson had enjoyed making the comic "The Black Cat" episode of "Tales of Terror (1962)," and wanted to try an entirely comic Poe feature.

• Finnish censorship certificate register # 68020 delivered on 28-1-1964.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb