I Love You to Death - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of I Love You to Death or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to I Love You to Death

• I Love You to Death - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• This is the fourth and final collaboration between William Hurt and Lawrence Kasdan. The others being Body Heat (1981), The Big Chill (1983), and The Accidental Tourist (1988).

• Kevin Kline and William Hurt appeared in The Big Chill (1983).

• First theatrical movie directed by Lawrence Kasdan where he didn't write the script. The second was French Kiss (1995).

• Heather Graham: As Bridget in one of her early screen bit roles.

• Costume designer Aggie Guerard Rodgers made certain that the actors and actresses were dressed as realistically as possible. Rosalie Boca (Tracey Ullman) looks like a small-town working-class mother who has opted for comfort over style. Joey Boca (Kevin Kline), when he removes his pizza apron for a night out, dresses like the flamboyant extrovert that he is. Nadja (Dame Joan Plowright) has collected an eclectic wardrobe from thrift shops. Devo (River Phoenix) loves 1960s hippie clothes and jewelry. Harlan (William Hurt) and Marlon (Keanu Reeves) wear outfits that defy explanation.

• Though also a producer and screenwriter, Lawrence Kasdan performed neither of these duties on this movie, only directing it.

• Loosely based on the true story of Frances Toto and her four unsuccessful attempts to kill her cheating husband, Anthony Toto, in Allentown, Pennsylvania in 1984. Anthony spent four days in bed after being drugged and shot by Frances and her friends; who spent four years in prison after pleading guilty to attempted murder. The Turner Classic Movies website states that this movie's "story was inspired by events in the lives of Anthony and Frances Toto and Barry Giacobe."

• Debut Hollywood feature film, in a leading role, of Tracey Ullman.

• One of two movies (as of January 2020), directed by Lawrence Kasdan, and starring Kevin Kline, where the latter portrayed a European character. In French Kiss (1995), Kline played a Frenchman, whereas in this movie, Kline portrayed an Italian man.

• This is the second time that Kevin Kline and Jonathan Kasdan have played father and son. The first was in The Big Chill (1983).

• Following the completion of location work, the company returned to Hollywood to film the interior of the Boca household and smaller sets on soundstages at Raleigh Studios. The home decorating in the Boca household, as envisioned by Lilly Kilvert, reflects Rosalie Boca's (Tracey Ullman's) state of mind. Kilvert said: "Rosalie did not have a plan, nothing quite fits together. She's so busy trying not to see what's actually happening in her life, that her projects don't work out. The tilting teacup wallpaper in her kitchen is like a metaphor for Rosalie, she's piling up all these teacups, hoping that they won't fall over."

• Filming began on-location in Tacoma, Washington, on April 10, 1989. Director Lawrence Kasdan wanted the backdrop of this to have an industrial, small-town feeling, much like that of the area in West Virginia, where he was raised. Tacoma rests in a bowl around a harbor. Throughout the city, a huge paper mill can be seen pumping smoke into the sky twenty-four hours a day. Kasdan said: "At times it's very beautiful, this complex of lights and smoke and industry, set against a background of magnificent mountains and water. It's a real American scene with the defiling, yet necessary, industry happening in the midst of this beautiful country."

• William Hurt portrayed a drug taker in this movie and The Big Chill (1983).

• The true events that inspired this fictional movie came to the attention of producer Ron Moler in 1984, when he heard the story of Tony Toto and Frances Toto, and the five unsuccessful attempts on Tony's life. Moler and co-producer Patrick Wells began developing the material for a theatrical movie, and brought John Kostmayer in to write the script. The characters of Joey Boca (Kevin Kline) and Rosalie Boca (Tracey Ullman), Kostmayer said, are people driven by passion to behave irrationally, but who "have a sweetness in them so deep that they're prepared to forgive infidelity, attempted murder, lies, betrayal, every crime against marriage, and start all over again."

• Some scenes in Tacoma, Washington were shot at the triangular Bostwick Building, located at the foot of Tacoma's Antique Row. Reminiscent of New York City's famed Flatiron Building, its shape is like an oversized slice of Joey's pizza. Here, Joey Boca's Pizzeria, designed by production designer Lilly Kilvert, was constructed as a fully-functioning working restaurant. Before filming began, the actors and actresses performed their chores in character at the restaurant for staff and crew members, who acted as customers. The second floor of this building served as the "Villa Rosalie" apartments, where landlord Joey Boca (Kevin Kline) spends his spare time fixing the "pipes" of his female tenants.

• Miriam Margolyes played the mother of Kevin Kline's character. In real life, she's only six years older than Kline.

• River Phoenix played young Henry "Indiana" Jones, Jr. in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989). Director Lawrence Kasdan wrote Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

• Filming locales in Tacoma, Washington, included the Holy Rosary Church, Stadium High School Bowl, and the Java Jive, a unique restaurant/bar shaped like a coffee pot. Further, a large old house on Tacoma's north-side, with a panoramic view of Commencement Bay and the Port of Tacoma, was the site for the exteriors of the Boca household. Also, the former Elks Club building was turned into a police station, where the perpetrators of the attempted murder of Joey Boca are detained and questioned.

• This was the only movie that John Kostmayer either wrote or produced.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb