An American Werewolf in London - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of An American Werewolf in London or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to An American Werewolf in London

• An American Werewolf in London - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Only four American work permits were requested of the British government for the production: for director John Landis, make-up artist Rick Baker, and David Naughton and Griffin Dunne. The first three work permits were granted by the British government without question. But the British office of Actors' Equity questioned the necessity of a work permit for Dunne, claiming that there were already plenty of young American actors living in Great Britain who could portray the role of Jack. It was only when director and screenwriter Landis threatened to re-write the script, and retitle the movie "An American Werewolf in Paris", that the equity office reconsidered the application and granted Dunne his work permit.

• It took days to film the love scene.

• Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson were offered parts in the film after John Landis saw them perform on-stage and thought they were hilarious. Rik came to the set and got cast, but Adrian didn't believe Landis and never showed up.

• In the subway scene, just as the chase between man and beast commences, posters for Airplane! (1980) and Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979) are visible, due to the fact that these movies were being shown around this time.

• Given the transformation had to be realistic, Baker approached it from a scientific point of view. Humans and wolves are both vertebrates, and both mammals, as such, most components of their skeletons are homologous to each other. "The way I decided to approach the transformation was through comparative anatomy," Baker explained to Cinefex. "I didn't have a wolf skeleton in my collection, but I had a dog's and that was close enough. Comparing it to ahuman, you find that many of the bones are similar; it's just that the proportions are different. I made lists of the differences, what the major changes were, whether this got shorter or that got longer then figured out how we could get a suit out of this, in the later stages, that made sense."

• Because David calls Prince Charles' sexuality into question in the film, a disclaimer was added to the credits which read "Lycanthrope films limited wishes to extend its heartfelt congratulations to Lady Diana Spencer and His Royal Highness the Prince of Wales on the occasion of their marriage - July 29th 1981".

• John Landis fought hard to secure the rights to the Cat Stevens song "Moon Shadow" to use in the film, but because the film dealt with the supernatural, the undead and werewolves, and also because of the graphic (at the time, 1981) violence, Stevens, who had since converted to Islam, and had his name changed to Yusef Islam, refused Landis' request. Cat objected to the themes and subject matter, and did not want his song connected in any way to the film. John Landis thought this was hilarious, because, as he pointed out, "Moon Shadow", is actually about killing and dismemberment. Landis thought this song was perfect for his movie, but Stevens had other ideas.

• It took five hours, to get Griffin Dunne into the phase two make-up.

• The two main characters (David and Jack) die in reverse alphabetical order both by their characters' names (David and Jack) but by their real names (David and Griffin).

• John Landis stated in an interview his inspiration for the film "was the old 1940s horror movie, The Wolf Man (1941), starring Lon Chaney Jr. in which, unusually, the werewolf was portrayed as a victim. Films tend to show the transformation from man to wolf through dissolves, but I wanted to capture how painful the entire process would be, and make it painful to watch. Although the film did have a lot of comedy, I wanted to treat the violence realistically to make it as terrible as violence always is".

• Viewers have wondered about David's newfound romance with Alex because the relationship seemed to happen randomly. However, that may not be entirely the case for a few reasons. Since David became a werewolf after being attacked by a werewolf, he didn't have anyone to tend to him besides Alex and other medical staff. He was left to his own devices and she had stepped in to help him heal. Also, it's theorized that after becoming a werewolf, David's attractiveness and sexuality had increased to where Alex became drawn to him.

• In its earliest incarnation, John Landis had wanted Donald Sutherland for his lead. Landis had worked with Sutherland on the set of Kelly's Heroes (1970), which is where he got the idea for a werewolf movie in the first place.

• David Naughton improvised the line; 'i haven't felt this good in a long time. My body feels great I feel like an athlete'.

• The hospital to which David is brought after being attacked by the werewolf was a disused hospital, Princess Beatrice Hospital, in London (room 21, Floor 4). The building is now used as a homeless clinic.

• John Landis: Appears briefly near the end of the film. He is the bearded man who gets hit by a car and thrown through the plate glass window in Piccadilly Circus.

• Griffin Dunne was unfamiliar with press junkets and such before this film, and he recalls going to the Stanhope Hotel for one. "When you guys all left I stayed in the hotel for a week, and Universal just paid. They never even noticed. I had this crappy little apartment in the Village, and I just lived uptown at the Stanhope living on room service."

• For her role as a nurse, Jenny Agutter spent some time in a London hospital observing nurses at work.

• It is unknown if Jack and all six of David's victims were free of the curse and able to move on to the afterlife after David gets shot to death.

• Much of the British cast, including John Woodvine, playing the role of Dr. Hirsch, were appearing in the Royal Shakespeare Company's London stage production of "Nicholas Nickleby", simultaneously to this film's production.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb