Adaptation. - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Adaptation. or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Adaptation.

• Adaptation. - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• The flower shown during the time-lapse sequence at the end of the movie is called Amelia (an Osteospermum).

• David O. Russell: One of the Orleans' dinner guests is the director of Three Kings (1999), in which Spike Jonze appeared.

• Nicolas Cage has said that during the filming of this movie, he ignored all of his acting instincts and played the part of Charlie Kaufman exactly as director Spike Jonze asked him to. He then received an Academy Award nomination for it.

• Having been submitted the screenplay for approval, Susan Orlean was strongly opposed to the making of the film; she ended up reluctantly approving its production, and was ultimately very impressed with the final result. In 2012, she stated "[reading the screenplay] was a complete shock. My first reaction was 'Absolutely not!' They had to get my permission and I just said: 'No! Are you kidding? This is going to ruin my career!' Very wisely, they didn't really pressure me. They told me that everybody else had agreed and I somehow got emboldened. It was certainly scary to see the movie for the first time. It took a while for me to get over the idea that I had been insane to agree to it, but I love the movie now."

• The "filmography" link in the DVD includes a page for the fictional Donald Kaufman, listing his works as "Adaptation" and "The Three". There is a hidden link in the DVD main page. Scroll up from the main set of links and there is a telephone icon which appears, linking to a page with an "Adaptation Answering Machine" phone number, which had an answering machine with a message to leave your comments. Unfortunately, that phone number is no longer active.

• Nicolas Cage was given completely separate credits for Charlie Kaufman and Donald Kaufman. The credits were given in order of appearance and each of Cage's credits appeared in the order that Charlie and Donald appeared.

• Susan Orlean was at first concerned that some people would think her portrayal in the film was accurate, but was then reminded how Charlie Kaufman portrays himself in the film.

• The tropical fish species to which John refers while riding in the van with Susan are Anisotremus virginicus, Holacanthus ciliaris, and Chaetadon capistratus, also called the Porkfish, Queen Angel fish and Foureye Butterflyfish.

• Weezer recorded an acoustic version of "Happy Together" to be included in the film. However, Spike Jonze felt the original version by The Turtles was a better fit for the film.

• Based on writer Charlie Kaufman's struggle to adapt the best-selling book "The Orchid Thief" by Susan Orlean. Kaufman quickly got writer's block, since the book lacked the dramatic structure needed for a movie. So he decided to write a screenplay about himself struggling to write a book adaptation, exaggerating many of the story elements and characters, and making up new ones (such as a non-existent twin brother, Donald Kaufman.) Knowing that the producers would reject the idea, he did not tell them about the new direction in which he was taking the story, and simply handed in the finished script. Although this move was supported by Spike Jonze, Kaufman himself believed it would end his career (it didn't).

• The film cast includes (as of 2015) six Oscar winners: Nicolas Cage, Meryl Streep, Chris Cooper, Tilda Swinton, Curtis Hanson, and Spike Jonze; and four Oscar nominees: Maggie Gyllenhaal, David O. Russell, Catherine Keener, and John Malkovich.

• Thr3e (2006), a film (based on Ted Dekker's eponymous novel), bears a distinct resemblance to the plot of The 3, the fictional script by Donald Kaufman's character.

• When Charlie Kaufman won the Bafta in 2003 for Best Adapted Screenplay, he was unable to attend the ceremony, and Meryl Streep accepted the award on his behalf, reading out a speech he had faxed. Instead of saying, "I would like to thank Spike Jonze", she said, "I would like to spank..." and the audience applauded wildly.

• Script guru Robert McKee suggested Brian Cox to play him.

• This spent a year and a half in the editing suites, the second longest amount in Columbia's history after Ishtar (1987).

• Though his name appears in the final credits, Stephen Tobolowsky doesn't appear in the movie, since all of his scenes were cut.

• Chris Cooper won Best Supporting Actor for this film from his only Academy Award nomination (as of 2020).

• Nicolas Cage's brother, New York City radio personality Marc Coppola, often stood in for one of the twins during filming.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb