Silverado - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Silverado or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Silverado

• Silverado - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• After working with Kevin Kline on this film, John Cleese wrote A Fish Called Wanda (1988) and the role of Otto specifically with Kline in mind.

• This movie features a natural landscape environment as a key setting, which has been the trademark of Lawrence Kasdan written and/or directed movies, such as this movie, Wyatt Earp (1994), Darling Companion (2012), Grand Canyon (1991), Continental Divide (1981), and Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981).

• Despite the notorious financial and critical failure of the epic western Heaven's Gate (1980), within five years Hollywood had produced a new mini-cycle of westerns. In 1985, in addition to this film, there was Pale Rider (1985), Lust in the Dust (1984), and Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985), then ¡Three Amigos! (1986) followed the next year.

• In the final scene, Cobb (Brian Dennehy) is standing in front of the desert , which looks like an abyss. Paden (Kevin Kline) is standing in front of the church. Classic good versus evil metaphors.

• When Cobb says "this used to be a peaceful town," it echoes what sheriff Teasle says in First Blood "this is a quiet town.".Cobb and Teasle were both played by Brian Dennehey.

• With a cast and crew of two hundred four, this film was scheduled to shoot for only sixty-six days, entirely on-location in and around Santa Fe, New Mexico, it being the oldest capital, and second oldest continuously inhabited city in the United States of America.

• Following completion of principal photography, Carol Littleton and Lawrence Kasdan moved to Los Angeles to complete post-production.

• Scott Glenn and Kevin Costner got along great during the filming. Glenn used to kid Costner by calling out to him "Hey movie star" as at that point Costner was little known and had not reached his star status yet.

• With a cast of 54, plus 500 extras, the enormous task of designing and preparing costumes fell to costume designer Kristi Zea and her staff of four. Through extensive research and conferences with Lawrence Kasdan, Zea and her talented team created distinctly different silhouettes, especially for the four heroes, to make them instantly identifiable on-screen.

• In keeping with his English character, Sheriff John Langston (John Cleese) of Turley is armed with an English Enfield Mark II double action revolver. Although correct for the time period of the movie, Silverado (1985) apparently marks the only appearance of this weapon in an American western film.

• 80s B-movie and sex comedy cult actress Betsy Russell said in an interview that the producers wanted her to audition for this film but she passed on it. Now it's one of her biggest regrets because she felt it may have changed her career. "I was a favorite of a casting director name Wally Nicita," she said, "and she eventually became a producer. She was a big fan of mine after Private School, and there was a film coming up called 'Silverado.' I was shooting 'Avenging Angel at the time and I had an audition. It was a night shoot, I was very tired and I didn't really understand the ins and outs of the business, I relied more on my manager to take care of that, and he was learning to as we went along. So they called for me at the audition for Silverado, and I didn't pay attention to who had been cast in it. I just looked at it as an ensemble piece, and the other movie I was auditioning for was a ski movie, in which I would star. I just said let's go for the bigger part. As luck would have it, the audition was in the same building as Wally Nicita's office, and she kept saying how much the director and producers of Silverado would love to see me. I told her no, I was here for the other audition. She looked at me like I was the stupidest person on the planet, and never contacted me for anything again."

• First of three films to co-star Kevin Kline and John Cleese. They would also work together in A Fish Called Wanda (1988) and Fierce Creatures (1997). Interestingly too, John Cleese took over Kevin Kline's role, as the Police Commissioner, in Steve Martin's "Pink Panther" films.

• Mal (Danny Glover) and his father Ezra (Joe Seneca) are known for their prowess with the Henry rifle. While the weapon carried by Ezra is an authentic Henry rifle, the rifle used by Mal is actually an 1866 Winchester rifle, modified to look like a Henry. This is most obvious from the loading gate on the right side of the brass receiver, a feature the earlier Henry rifle lacked.

• When Paden (Kevin Kline) is in his long red underwear talking with Cobb, Deputy Kyle (Ken Farmer) comes up and spits tobacco on the ground between Kline's legs. The spitting, and the look the two men exchange, is all improvised.

• In the scene where Augie tries to jump on Jake's horse and falls to the ground, the horse is wearing Jake's hat. This was Costner's idea just before the camera's rolled to keep with his character's goofy nature. Kasdan loved the idea and it stayed in the film.

• When Paden, Emmet and Jake escapes Sherriff Langston Jake (Kevin Costner) says "Come on, let's go". If you look closely you"ll see that Kevin Costners lips aren't moving. The line was added afterwards.

• Scott Glenn and Jeff Goldblum previously starred in The Right Stuff. Also Marvin J. McIntyre and Kevin Costner starred in Fandango also released in 1985.

• The planned sequel, as reflected in the films final line, never materialized, due to the failure of this film at the box-office.

• The Lucasarts PC video game Outlaws (1997) had game levels based on the town of Silverado, including a ramp featured in an important scene.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb