$ - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of $ or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to $

• $ - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Quincy Jones scored this film for Richard Brooks as well as In Cold Blood. The most similar "note" heard in both films is the sound of an upright bass played while the musician's finger rides up the string/neck.

• Producer M.J. Frankovich made the Kunsthalle museum's directors very happy when he presented them with two paintings, one "Hollywood Gardener" by David Hockney, an Englishman who made impressions of a visit to Los Angeles in 1966. The other, a sculptural object by Robert Graham, born in Mexico City and living in Los Angeles and London, was a typical example of art on the West Coast of the time. Graham visited the Kunsthalie shortly before the $ (1971) production began.$

• Of all films starring Warren Beatty, $ is the most similar to the 1960's heist film Kaleidoscope being that Beatty plays a hip thief with a blond-haired girlfriend.

• At the end of the film, Dawn is driving a yellow 1970 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray. 17,316 of all variants were made, with a bast price of $5,192 ($35,600 in 2020). In excellent condition in 2020 an example of this car could be worth $50-75,000, depending on which engine it has.

• Goldie Hawn arrived in Hamburg with her husband, Gus Trikonis, and her dog, Lamb Chop, several days before the start of filming. Hawn had taken a crash course in German at Berlitz and captivated Hamburg residents with her ability to express herself in their tongue. Miss Hawn, Academy Award winner with her debut performance in Cactus Flower (1969), also produced by this film's producer M.J. Frankovich, was able to order her meals and do her shopping in the leading stores and to converse with hotel employees and reporters in German.

• Satisfying "poetic justice" near the end of the film --- Sarge and the Candy Man are the only members of the "bad guy" group who actually displayed murderous intentions, and therefore are the only ones who die from trying to pursue Joe and Dawn; all of the other culprits merely "lose their shirts" and/or are otherwise humiliated/scared (i.e., the greedy drug-agents acquire merely an empty satchel when performing their mugging-in-disguise on the Candy Man, the major loses track of Dawn at the train-station, the globe-trotting attorney and his bodyguard have to run for their lives to escape their own crooked employers, etc.), while the intrepid and harmlessly-pleasant bank-robbers --- whom everyone in the audience is secretly rooting for, since all of the people from whom the duo stole the money were totally crooks themselves and therefore did not deserve their ill-gotten loot, either --- get away scot-free, and enjoy an innocently-joyful new life of carefree luxury in America.

• Goldie Hawn's classic giggly exclamation, "Burn, Baby, burn!" is re-used in a subsequent film --- "Overboard" --- in which she also stars as the leading lady.

• "The Candy Man" is an obvious reference to the notorious and then-currently-infamous young-boy-sodomist-and-murderer Dean Corll, whose practice of handing out sweets to teenage boys and children to gain their trust gave him this morbidly-charming nickname.

• Goldie Hawn has said of her co-star Warren Beatty: We did become fast friends on that film. I looked upon him as a crazy older brother. I think we got along so well because our characters are alike in . . . oh, so many ways. But the big reason why we got along so well was that Warren was the first man who told me I was really smart. I was twenty-six, and I had never heard that before. Warren telling me that gave me a lot of confidence".

• Andrea Passafiume at the TCMDb Turner Classics Movie website states: "During the course of filming, Warren Beatty suffered a serious injury during a particular scene involving a train. According to Peter Biskind [in his book 'Star: How Warren Beatty Seduced America' (2010)], Beatty was nearly killed when he slipped from the train and fell onto the tracks below, leaving barely enough time to move out of the way of an oncoming freight train. Beatty's ankle was badly hurt as a result of the accident, and his recovery delayed the production two full days".

• This movie is one of few films where its title is represented by one only character i.e. $ [$ (1971)].$

• Quincy Jones also scored Richard Brooks's most famous film, In Cold Blood.

• Gert Fröbe appears in this movie in a minor role as a bank manager. It is also one of his very few English-language roles without voice-over dubbing for his own voice. His character and casting is designed to connect with his screen persona from the James Bond film Goldfinger (1964). As Auric Goldfinger in that movie, he was a villain who loved gold, had it as part of his personal artifacts and his scheme was to rob it from Fort Knox. In this movie, as Mr. Kessel, he is seen handling gold bars and his bank is the film's equivalent to Fort Knox.

• The Hamburg, Germany wharves, warehouses on the docks, railroad station, churches, the Atlantic Hotel, the streets, the police radio and television rooms, the airport, the famous Elbe Tunnel, and other points of interest serve as locations and backgrounds for the film.

• Gus Trikonis, Goldie Hawn's then husband, was engaged to create a film highlighting the film's shooting in Hamburg, as well as personalized stories involving the actors and the director.

• One of three cinema movie collaborations of actress Goldie Hawn and actor Warren Beatty. The films are $ (1971), Shampoo (1975), and Town & Country (2001).$

• Actress Goldie Hawn has said of this movie: "It smelled like a hit. Warren [Beatty] and I in Germany, plotting a robbery from a bank, with me as a hooker. Richard Brooks directing. But it didn't work". Moreover, Hawn has also said of her characterization in this film: "It was a total bust," she said. "I didn't like my character or what I did with her. It was a totally unthought out, unconscious performance. I can't even look at the picture".

• The most important set was located in the Kunsthalle, the popular art museum, situated in the heart of Hamburg. The museum's directors agreed to close a portion of the museum which was an ideal place to build a bank set director Richard Brooks required for a four week period. The construction and filming had to be accomplished without interrupting the flow of visitors to the art and sculpture displays, and was accomplished when a portion of the hall was partitioned and closed off from the main entrance. Under the careful guardianship of art director and scenic designer Guy Sheppard, a "bank" was built so real in appearance, that employees of the Dresdner Bank and the American Express Bank across the street delighted in visiting it, and talking about it. In addition to the set, the Kunsthalle Museum furnished offices for the company, as well as dressing rooms, wardrobe quarters, film storage, and a special editing room, where Brooks could view the company's day-to-day efforts on a screen larger than the usual movie.

• Writer-director Richard Brooks first started writing the $ (1971) script in early 1970, after long periods of research into many facets of the story. Brooks was a stickler for facts and they had to be accurate. He knew from the beginning that the film could only be made in a European city, so with his capable assistant Tom Shaw, took off for a location recce inspection of foreign cities. They traveled to Vienna in Austria, Brussels in Belgium, Copenhagen in Denmark, and Hamburg in then West Germany. Finally. it was decided Hamburg had more to offer, scenically, as well as the colorful background needed for the colorful telling of a colorful story.$

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb