How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of How to Train Your Dragon 2 or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to How to Train Your Dragon 2

• How to Train Your Dragon 2 - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• The second non-Disney/Pixar film to win the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature, the first was The Adventures of Tintin (2011).

• As of 2019 this film along with Shrek 2 (2004), Kung Fu Panda 2 (2011), and Puss in Boots (2011) are the only follow-up films of DreamWorks Animation's outside the Madagascar franchise where none of the characters from the previous installments are being recast, in the studio's other sequels/spinoffs/prequels outside the Madagascar franchise at least a few characters are given new voice actors due to the previous voice actor having passed away, their voice no longer able to perform because of how they've aged, or unknown reasons (latter reasons applied for John DiMaggio, Sacha Baron Cohen, experienced voice actor Fred Tatasciore, and TJ Miller in Penguins of Madagascar (2014), Kung Fu Panda 3 (2016), and How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019)).

• In the third trailer of the film, they use the song 'Kings and Queens' by 30 seconds to mars which was used in the marketing for Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole which was released the same year as the original How To Train Your Dragon in 2010.

• This film is the only film that in the franchise to not be released the same year as a Toy Story film. On the other hand, the first How To Train Your Dragon (2010) came out in 2010, the same year Toy Story 3 (2010) was released. And How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) will be released in 2019, the same year Toy Story 4 (2019) will be released. However, the movie was released in 2014, the same year as the Christmas Toy Story short, Toy Story That Time Forgot (2014).

• Valka was originally written as the villain, but this idea was dropped in later drafts. Also, Drago was intended to appear in the third film How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019), but was bumped up to the second one.

• Hiccup is left-handed.

• The first DreamWorks Animation film to win a Golden Globe award for Best Animated Film.

• The first 20th Century Fox animated film since Titan A.E. (2000) to release in June.

• Djimon Hounsou would often do vocal exercises to prepare for his voice acting. One of these was a loud, terrible scream. Dean DeBlois liked it so much that he decided to use it as Drago's cry to summon his dragons.

• Gobber is the first character to "come out" in a DreamWorks Animation film. This is evidenced when he says the reason he never married was because of the arguing. He then adds, "Well, this and another reason." Writer-director Dean DeBlois told E! News, "When we were recording Craig Ferguson, I had written the line, 'This is why I never got married,' and he, as he often does, added it as an ad lib and he said, 'Yup, Gobber is coming out of the closet.'"

• Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon are the only DreamWorks franchises to be based on children's books.

• Valka recognizes Hiccup by the scar on his chin. This scar can be clearly seen on the baby when Stoick picks him up.

• Stoick the Vast has some experience and lines in common with another Gerard Butler character, Creedy in Reign of Fire (2002), which was also about dragons.

• Originally, Gobber was the one who was meant to be killed by the brainwashed Toothless. But when Guillermo del Toro read the draft, he suggested that Stoick should be killed instead, as it would have a bigger impact.

• Reached a peak of second position at the U.S. box office and held it for only one week, on the weekend of June 13-15, 2014, with takings on that weekend of $49,451,322.

• Craig Ferguson's fourth theatrically released animated movie, after How to Train Your Dragon (2010), Winnie the Pooh (2011), and Brave (2012).

• The second film to win the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature over what ended up winning the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, the first was Cars (2006).

• With a running time of 102 minutes, this was the Dreamworks Animations longest film until How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019), which is 104 minutes long.

• When offered the sequel, Dean DeBlois accepted it on condition he can turn it into a trilogy. For the sequel, he intends to revisit the films of his youth, with Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980) having the pivotal inspiration for the film. "What I loved especially about Empire is that it expanded Star Wars in every direction: emotionally, its scope, characters, fun. It felt like an embellishment and that's the goal." Dean further explained, "I find it dangerous to second-guess the audience. I want to make the movie which I want to see. As a kid, I loved films that had a darker side and were emotionally challenging.... 'The Empire Strikes Back' was a big influence. It offered a heightened sense of emotion. It really served as a tonal model." Dean DeBlois admitted in an interview at the 67th Annual Cannes Film Festival about the improper use of making animated motion picture sequels. "I think too often animation sequels seem unnecessary. They turn the same five or six characters into another adventure." Upon accepting the task to write and direct the sequel, DeBlois went to DreamWorks Animation CEO Jeffrey Katzenberg and pitched a completely different approach: "I told him I was interested if he would consider the idea of a trilogy, because then the first film could serve as a first act in a larger narrative on the way to an overall coming-of-age story where Hiccup would become a wise Viking chief, and we could end on roughly the same concept as Cressida Cowell's book, explaining why the dragons disappeared." With the decision to set the sequel five years after the events, it would work best for the story and DeBlois' ambition. "That way, we could avoid the problem that is often faced by sequels where you start with a character who had all his problems seemingly solved in the first film."

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb