Blame It on Rio - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Blame It on Rio or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Blame It on Rio

• Blame It on Rio - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• In her memoir Inside Out, Demi Moore reveals that she ended up in bed with a member of the crew one night. "Peter, a young guy who was running the second unit camera on the movie" is assumed to be Peter Lyons Collister.

• Michelle Johnson said during a 1984 interview that it wasn't until after she was cast that she learned her role involved total nudity. "My parents were a bit concerned about it and I was too," she said. "I always wanted to have a career (in film) and I wanted to make the right moves at the right time. So we read the script and we talked to Stanley to find out exactly what his intentions were for the film. My parents looked into Stanley's reputation and seemed satisfied because he makes such quality films." Johnson said she was incredibly nervous the first time she took her clothes off and stood around naked in front of the cast and mostly male crew. It was like hundreds of eyes were all staring at her exposed body. But once the camera started rolling, she was fine. "When I was being Jennifer, when I was really focused in on that character, I wasn't aware that I was topless or completely naked in those scenes. That was the last thing on my mind because I was so focused. But the minute Stanley said "cut' I was immediately aware that I was standing in front of 20 or 30 people with no clothes on and I picked up a robe and ran to my room."

• This movie was filmed between March and December 1983.

• This movie was shot on-location in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. According to producer and director Stanley Donen, the production was the first foreign movie in Brazil to operate under new government guidelines, Donen saying that the bugs in the system took on dimensions the size of Godzilla.

• The theatrical movie poster, featuring the rear view of a girl in a "Brazilian cut" bikini caused such a stir that an altered, airbrushed version of the same poster with a less revealing bikini was issued.

• Director Stanley Donen said in a 1984 interview that he originally wanted an experienced actress for the role of Jennifer. He was looking for a young girl who was beautiful, lively, energetic and extroverted, but couldn't find one that satisfied him who was willing to go nude. So he started auditioning new inexperienced actresses and he found Michelle Johnson. Even though she was a model, he thought it may be difficult convincing her and her parents that she would have to do nude scenes. But he said they were all fine with it. "Girls, you know, if they're attractive, most of them are not at all unhappy about being topless," he reasoned. "They are quite beautiful and they like to be admired."

• Michelle Johnson said she didn't even know who Michael Caine was when she was invited to audition. "This was so embarrassing," she said in an interview when the film was released. ".So I called a friend who's older than me. She goes to movies a lot. And she said, "Oh, that's that Kung Fu guy.' She was getting him mixed up with David Carradine. I immediately went out and saw "Alfie' and "The Man Who would be King" and "Sleuth.' I was very nervous at the audition, especially after seeing those movies."

• Demi Moore turned down the role of Lucy Lane in Supergirl (1984) to appear on this film.

• Director Stanley Donen has referred to the production of this movie in Brazil as being "horrendous". Donen has said that principal photography was marred by excessive bureaucratic requirements for personal information for the cast and crew; endless rainfall falling on days, in which the forecast said otherwise; and the late, and even non-arrival of goods, products, and services.

• The first name of Joseph Bologna's character was Victor. The name of the actor who played the equivalent character, Jacques, in the original French movie, In a Wild Moment (1977), was Victor Lanoux. As such, the first name of Bologna's character had the same first name as the actor who played him in the original French movie.

• First of two movies in which Demi Moore and Sir Michael Caine appeared. The other being Flawless (2007). Caine also appeared in Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002), which Moore executively produced. There could have been another collaboration, had Caine accepted the role of Representative David Dilbeck in Striptease (1996).

• Sir Michael Caine performs a Greek Chorus role in this movie, which intermittently cuts to him talking to the audience from a studio shot with a gray wall background, explaining the twists and turns of the movie's storyline.

• This movie was first released in theaters in 1984. In the story, Victor's (Joseph Bologna's) wife wants a divorce, while Matthew (Sir Michael Caine's) wife wants to take a separate vacation. Ironically, in 1985, producer and director Stanley Donen and his wife Yvette Mimieux divorced.

• During a TV interview with Michelle Johnson around the time the film was released, the interviewer asked the 18 year old actress why she had been willing to go topless in the film. She said ''I felt that it was necessary. To convey Rio.''

• Despite the fact that she had never acted before, Michelle Johnson was picked for the role from some 300 candidates.

• Producer and director Stanley Donen hired Michelle Johnson after seeing her in an issue of W Magazine.

• According to Allmovie, "(film) critics aptly noticed (Michael) Caine's apparent discomfort throughout the film".

• The profound comment that the Brazilian waiter said to Matthew Hollis (Sir Michael Caine), when Hollis said, "I wasn't thinking what I was doing", was: "It's only when a man is not thinking what he's doing, that you can be sure, he's doing what he's thinking."

• Co-screenwriter Charlie Peters wrote Kiss Me Goodbye (1982), which was a remake of the Brazilian movie Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands (1976). That movie and its source novel were both set in Brazil, South America, where this movie is mostly set, with the American remake Kiss Me Goodbye (1982) being set in the U.S. The original Brazilian movie had several "boudoir farce" story elements, which were taken out for the American Kiss Me Goodbye (1982) remake. Peters then co-wrote this American remake, this movie, which also takes place in Brazil, re-setting the action there from the Côte d'Azur in France, where the source movie, In a Wild Moment (1977), was mostly set. But this time, the remake, this movie, did not have the "boudoir farce" story elements removed from its source foreign movie, as had been the case with Kiss Me Goodbye (1982).

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb