Independence Day: Resurgence - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Independence Day: Resurgence or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Independence Day: Resurgence

• Independence Day: Resurgence - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Third collaboration of actress Joey King and writer-producer-director Roland Emmerich after Stonewall (2015) and White House Down (2013).

• (at around 1h 22 mins) When Julius Levinson takes over the driving duties from the girl on their way to Area 51 one of the passenger boys says 'If we go any slower we'll be going backwards', this is a fun nod to Independence Day (1996). When Julius and David are travelling to Washington to rescue David's ex-wife from the White House, David remarks that 'We're going to get a ticket' referring to how slow his father was driving despite the roads into Washington being virtually empty.

• Many people might ask what happened to Will Smith's character Steven Hiller who appeared in the original Independence Day (1996). The official Independence Day: Resurgence website states: "According to an official report, Captain Steven Hiller (Colonel Hiller by 2007) died during a test flight of one of the new Alien-infused Earth Space Defence fighter jets. His stepson, Dylan Dubrow (played by Jessie T. Usher) will carry on his legacy."

• Actor Liam Hemsworth has said in interviews that during production he experienced dreams and nightmares of himself and co-star Jeff Goldblum being chased by aliens.

• Actress Susan Sarandon turned down a prominent role because she found the script incomprehensible. This part is considered to be of President Elizabeth Lanford which in the end was cast with actress Sela Ward. Reportedly, Sarandon said: "When I read the script, I couldn't understand what was going on. I just couldn't understand it. Seriously. A lot of the people from the original one were not going to be doing it, and I read it and I just thought, 'No. I can't. I just can't'." Sarandon added: "But seriously, I read that and I did not have the faintest idea. They said, 'Wait till you see how your character dies.' And I read that part and thought, 'It's not so great, actually. It's not so interesting'."

• Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin got the idea for the original Independence Day (1996) film while fielding a question about the existence of alien life during promotion for Stargate (1994). A reporter asked Emmerich why he made a film with content like that if he did not believe in aliens. Emmerich stated he was still fascinated by the idea of an alien arrival, and further explained his response by asking the reporter to imagine what it would be like to wake up one morning and discover fifteen mile-wide spaceships were hovering over the world's largest cities. Emmerich then turned to Devlin and said, "I think I have an idea for our next film."

• According to website My Teen Guide, "Independence Day: Resurgence " was originally scheduled to hit theaters on July 3, 2015. Then, on November 12, 2013, it was announced that the movie release date was pushed to July of 2016. The final movie release date change came on October 14, 2014, when it was announced that the release date for Resurgence would be June 24, 2016."

• Roland Emmerich performed a few roles on this picture. Emmerich was the director, a producer, a co-story writer, a co-screenwriter, and this movie was based on characters created by him and Dean Devlin, who was also a producer, co-story writer and co-screenwriter.

• (at around 14 mins) When Jake and Patricia are video chatting, they are using QQ which is the fourth largest chat and social network platform in the world with approximately 877 million active user accounts (nearly all in China) as of June 2016.

• The name of Julius Levinson's boat was "Lucky Star".

• Screenwriter Nicolas Wright said that he and writing partner James A. Woods wanted to capture the first film's "innocent and honest humor and tone as much as possible," noting that since the first Independence Day's release, many other big studio franchises "have jumped on that kind of humor. They have a great rhythm, intense action punctuated with humor, and then underlined with emotion." Woods added: "The dramatic moments and spectacle land that much better if they're supported by humor and great characters."

• Roland Emmerich cites Will Smith's exit of the production as a huge factor as to why the film was a disappointment, as they had to quickly re-write the entire script from scratch without his character and fast track everything else to make it to its July 2016 release date.

• The Irish ship's crew is drinking the same whiskey that David drinks in the first Independence Day (1996).

• At least 120 people appeared in the picture uncredited according to the movie's cast list on the IMDb.

• Dean Devlin, co-creator of Independence Day (1996) and Independence Day: Resurgence (2016), will be making his directorial debut with Geostorm (2017), an action sci-fi thriller. IMDb reports its plot summary "as a man heads into space to prevent climate-controlling satellites from creating a storm of epic proportions, his brother discovers a plot to assassinate the President."

• Reportedly, early in this film's genesis, Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich hoped star Will Smith would return. The Wikipedia website states: "Early on both Emmerich and Devlin hoped that Smith would return".

• According to Vox Culture, with this movie, "20th Century Fox desperately hopes it can start its own Star Wars franchise to replace the one it lost to Disney".

• First of two planned sequels to Independence Day (1996) which were originally titled "Independence Day Forever Part 1" and "Independence Day Forever Part 2".

• Jeff Goldblum's publicity tour for the film started off in Australia, then takes him to Dubai, Berlin, London, Mexico City, New York, Los Angeles and Japan.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb