True Romance - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Following the "eggplant scene", Dennis Hopper was concerned about being "shot" by Christopher Walken with the prop gun so close against his head for fear of being burned by the barrel. Director Tony Scott assured him the gun was one hundred percent safe, and even tested it by having the prop man fire it against his (Scott's) own forehead. But upon firing the prop gun, the barrel extended about a third of an inch and Scott ended up on the floor with blood pouring from the wound.

• True Romance - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Roger Avary revisited the idea of a man's life-altering, violent encounter with a call girl in his directorial debut, Killing Zoe (1993).

• In early versions of the script, the character of Drexl had several more scenes. Many were removed and re-purposed for Pulp Fiction (1994), before being removed from that project as well.

• The roller coaster scene was originally written to have taken place in a zoo. Tony Scott changed it, to give the movie an "adrenaline rush".

• Juliette Lewis was considered for the role of Alabama Whitman. Ironically, she played an analogous role in Quentin Tarantino's other original screenplay for Natural Born Killers (1994).

• According to Director Tony Scott, Val Kilmer had originally wanted to play the character of Clarence. Kilmer spent eight hours in make-up being transformed into Elvis Presley. Fortunately, he was only required for two days of filming. The character is called Mentor in the closing credits, so as not to face any litigation from the Presley estate.

• According to Gary Oldman, "...it's a collaborative thing, and you work with the costume designer and the director. In the case of True Romance, I was already working on a film and had no way of meeting Tony Scott. I met him once at the interview. And he said, "I cannot tell you what the story is." He said, "I'm no good at that." He said, "The character, he's a white guy, thinks he's black, and he's a pimp." And I said, "I'll do it." And we shook hands and I hadn't even read the script. And then over the course of working on it, I had this idea about the dreadlocks and a scar, and teeth and all of that, and I would just write to Tony, "What about this? What about that?" And on the first day of shooting, that's when he saw it all put together. So yeah, I'm thinking and I'm thinking about those details.

• The trivia section, in the DVD special features, reports that Quentin Tarantino sold this script for about ten thousand dollars. With this money, he purchased the red Chevy Chevelle convertible that Vincent Vega drives in Pulp Fiction (1994).

• Gary Oldman stated in an interview that he would like to do a film on Drexl Spivey, his character in the film.

• In a 2011 interview with the American Film Institute, Gary Oldman was asked to name his favorite role. He chose two: Lee Harvey Oswald in "JFK" (1991) and Drexl Spivey in this movie.

• Jennifer Jason Leigh was offered the role of Alabama Whitman.

• Dennis Hopper and Christian Slater appeared in films written by Graham Yost: Hopper in Speed (1994) and Slater in Broken Arrow (1996) and Hard Rain (1998).

• Michael Rapaport was originally cast in the role of Marvin. But the casting director later thought Rapaport was right for the role of Dick Ritchie. Dick Ritchie was originally written as an African-American in the script.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb