Young Sherlock Holmes - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Young Sherlock Holmes or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Young Sherlock Holmes

• Young Sherlock Holmes - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• When Alan Arnold consulted five different books before writing the novelization, he said "they guided him through Cairo's antiquity and across its desert sands."

• The book says Rathe was a superman to Holmes; this may be an in-joke to Richard Donner, who directed The Goonies (1985) for Executive Producer Steven Spielberg and the first two Superman movies. There is a scene in The Goonies (1985) where Sloth reveals a shirt with Superman's S on it.

• When Alan Arnold wrote the novelization, he said in his acknowledgments: "Although there have been many so-called Sherlock Holmes 'pastiches', no-one can make the attempt without devoting study to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories. In doing so, one gains a respect for them and their creator which is quite profound. I cannot adequately describe their ability to suspend one's disbelief. It is a form of magic. They are myths which linger in the consciousness. They are for handing on to new generations who inevitably become, in turn, devotees. If this narrative is held to have integrity, it will encourage the process. That thought was in the minds of the men who made the film. Along with the actors, they all respected the creator of Sherlock Holmes. I drew on other sources. Although in my youth I lived in Cairo, I was not then sufficiently mature to appreciate its wonders or to learn much about its incomparable history. My feeling throughout has been one of the deepest respect for the writings of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle for the creator as much as for his creations. I share with the purists an admiration for Holmes' qualities. One that is sometimes overlooked is that he was a Victorian and Edwardian gentleman. 'We live in a utilitarian age', he once told Watson. 'Chivalry is a Medieval conception'. But, then, he was as much the great detective as he was the Medieval knight. That is how I think of him."

• When Watson writes up this adventure with Holmes, it's been some time since they last saw one another. Watson nearly paid a visit to Baker Street, but didn't, but wondered if Holmes had changed at all in the time gone by in the novelization.

• This movie takes place from December 12 to December 25, 1870.

• In the book, Waxflatter hallucinated Gremlins sabotaging the ornithopter. This is an in-joke to Gremlins (1984), and Steven Spielberg produced both movies in the Gremlins film franchise, and Chris Columbus scripted the first movie as well.

• John Watson (Alan Cox) believed that Sherlock Holmes (Nicholas Rowe) and Elizabeth Hardy's (Sophie Ward's) love for each other grew out of their unhappy childhoods and they both shared an independent spirit.

• Cragwitch Manor was built in the eighteenth century.

• Steven Spielberg directed Sir Christopher Lee in 1941 (1979), Benedict Cumberbatch in War Horse (2011), Jude Law and Sir Ben Kingsley in A.I. Artificial Intelligence (2001), Andrew Scott in Saving Private Ryan (1998), Jared Harris in Lincoln (2012), and Anthony Higgins, Paul Freeman, and John Rhys-Davies in Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981). Lee and Cumberbatch have played Sherlock Holmes; Law, Kingsley, and Rhys-Davies have played Dr. Watson, while Higgins, Freeman, Scott, and Harris have played Professor Moriarty.

• The "Stained Glass Knight" took Industrial Light & Magic artists four months to create.

• First of only three Amblin Entertainment productions where the production house's logo is played to music composed by John Williams. The others being The Money Pit (1986) and The Color Purple (1985).

• Sherlock Holmes reads Hunter's Encyclopedia of Disease, a reference work not available to the general public, but it is in the libraries of medical schools and practicing physicians.

• This movie, Gremlins (1984), and the Back to the Future trilogy were all produced by Steven Spielberg and all have eccentric inventors and madcap inventions with pet dogs, Einstein, Barney and Uncas, named after a famous leader of an Indian tribe, which was dramatized in The Last of the Mohicans (1992).

• Sir Michael Hordern, who voiced the older Watson, has worked with three other Watsons on film: André Morell in Barry Lyndon (1975); Sir Ben Kingsley in Gandhi (1982); and James Mason in Ivanhoe (1982).

• The novelization mentions A Scandal in Bohemia, the first of the many Sherlock Holmes short stories (and third work overall, following the character's first two novels).

• Elizabeth doesn't believe in ghosts in the novelization.

• Holmes' obsession with a case meant he had no sympathy for others, to Watson's annoyance.

• Brian Oulton replaced Maurice Denham in the role of Master Snelgrove.

• Debut theatrical movie as a producer of Henry Winkler.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb