The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of The Hunger Games: Catching Fire or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to The Hunger Games: Catching Fire

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Sam Claflin ate two or three sugar cubes for each take of Finnick's introduction scene until the scene was completed. He ate an entire box of cubes.

• The water scenes in the arena were filmed in a water park south of Atlanta. The water was barely more than fifty degrees and Lynn Cohen (Mags) was exempted from going into the waters at the request of director Francis Lawrence, who was concerned for her health. In the first scene in which she is carried on Sam Claflin's (Finnick's) back he loses his footing, bangs his knee on the rocks, and dumps them both into the water. He felt horrible about it, but she found it hilarious.

• The first letters of Effie Trinket, Katniss Everdeen, Haymitch Abernathy, and Peeta Mellark's last names spell TEAM. Making, more poignant, Effie's line, "Show them we're a team."

• Josh Hutcherson gave away that Jena Malone was cast as Johanna Mason during an interview at the Teen Choice Awards in 2012. He said that he was very excited to work with Malone, to which the interviewer responded in surprise and Hutcherson realized her casting wasn't made public yet.

• Lynn Cohen (Mags) shares the same birthday with author Suzanne Collins, August 10.

• This was the highest grossing film of 2013 in North America. It was the first film to top the annual box-office with a top-billed female lead since The Exorcist (1973), and the first with a woman as the sole protagonist and primary marketing focus since The Sound of Music (1965).

• As Katniss leaves with Johanna to roll out the coil, she says to Peeta "see you at midnight", to let him know that their plan is still on.

• Kristen Bell, a huge fan of the book series, actively sought the role of Johanna Mason.

• Taylor Kitsch, Armie Hammer, Hunter Parrish, Grant Gustin, Joey Graceffa, Luke Mitchell, and Garrett Hedlund were considered for the role of Finnick Odair.

• In the movie, you see Katniss tossing nuts at the force field in order to detect it. In the books, she did the same, however made sure no one noticed her doing so. She attributed her knowledge of the force field's location to her improved hearing in the one ear the capital repaired following the previous year's Hunger Games, where she had lost hearing in one ear.

• When the train travels along the coast, the scene includes a quick glimpse of some towers on stilts in the water. They're based on the Maunsell Forts in the Thames and Mersey estuaries in the United Kingdom.

• Jena Malone, who plays the prickly, Hunger Games survivor Johanna Mason in three of the "Hunger Games" movies, is a victim of President Snow (Donald Sutherland). In the 2005 version of "Pride and Prejudice", Jena portrays the flirty, air-headed Lydia Bennet (1 of 5 sisters). Donald Sutherland plays Mr. Bennet, Lydia's father.

• Some Capitol scenes were filmed at the Atlanta Marriott Marquis hotel, one of the hotels where the annual pop culture science fiction convention Dragon Con takes place.

• The angel sculpture in the center of District 12's Victor's Village is modelled very closely on "The Angel of the Waters", the sculpture on top of the Bethesda Fountain in New York City's Central Park. That sculpture was designed in 1868 by Emma Stebbins, the first female artist to make a piece of commissioned public art in New York City. It has played a memorable "role" in several movies, including Godspell (1973) and Angels in America (2003). Jeffrey Wright (Beetee) was in the latter film.

• Jenna Malone said on Live with Kelly and Michael that she was surprised her nude scene in the elevator wasn't being shot in a studio or soundstage, but she went with the flow. "So I was like, 'Ok wait, I can do this, I can do this, I can do this.'" So she strips all her clothes off and said it was great. "Woody [Harrelson] and Jen [Lawrence] and Josh [Hutcherson] were so supportive and we're good friends at that point and I think at Take 2, I'm, you know, bare bones and I'm about to leave the elevator and the doors open and there is some guy that works at the hotel carrying like a coffee cup holder. And his mouth is just like agape and I'm staring at him trying to be in character and I just fall out of frame laughing. I couldn't take it, literally." Malone said she just let the elevator doors close on the employee and never saw him again. As for nude scenes, Kelly Ripa told Malone she believes you should flaunt it while you still have it. "Do it all now before gravity hits. Do it all now," the co-host said. "This is my advice to young actresses. Be as nude now as you can."

• Melissa Leo was considered to play Mags.

• Highest grossing movie with a post-apocalyptic setting, as well as highest grossing movie based on a young adult novel.

• When Katniss is in the archery simulator, her targets resemble her fellow tributes. Notably, one throws Brutus' spears, one hurls axes like Johanna, and one carries a trident like Finnick.

• The elevator scenes and some other Capitol scenes were filmed at the Marriot Marquis Hotel in Atlanta, Georgia. The Marriot Marquis has fifty-two floors and a futuristic look, which is most likely why Francis Lawrence chose to film there.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb