Passengers - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Passengers or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Passengers

• Passengers - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• "Aurora" is also the name of one version of Sleeping Beauty (Disney, 1959); another beautiful woman who is woken from an imposed, static sleep by a man she falls in love with.

• Composer Thomas Newman, production designer Guy Hendrix Dyas, and set decorator Gene Serdena received their latest Academy Award nominations for their work on this film (fourteenth, second, and second, respectively). None of them has won even once so far, however.

• The third act of the movie is quite different from the original screenplay written by Jon Spaihts, in which a moribund Gus takes his own life by shooting himself into space, then Jim and Aurora have to contain the ship's damage. Jim never dies, but the 5,000 hibernation pods are ejected (Jim explains: "The hibernation system rebooted. It thinks the ship's in port. It's ejecting the empty pods." Aurora, horrified: "They're not empty"). In the final scene, the ship arrives in Homestead II 88 years later and Jim and Aurora's descendants come out of it.

• Reese Witherspoon and Emily Blunt were at separate times attached to the female lead, with The Weinstein Company producing.

• The screenplay for this film was featured in the 2007 Blacklist, a list of the "most liked" unmade scripts of the year. That version of the screenplay had a totally different ending (see below in the Spoilers section). Screenwriter Jon Spaihts's voice was used as the Autodoc voice in the final film.

• David Fincher was attached to direct this film at an early stage after it was green-lit by Sony but left the project before any casting decisions were made. Afterwards, Gabriele Muccino, Marc Forster and Brian Kirk were attached to direct before Morten Tyldum. Rumors that Darren Aronofsky considered directing the film were false; they were based largely on Aronofsky directing Jennifer Lawrence in a different film right before she began working on this one.

• This is not Michael Sheen's first time playing a "not quite human" proprietor of a bar - having also played one as Castor in TRON: Legacy (2010).

• The badges on Gus' military uniform say: Andromeda, Virgo Stellar, and Centaurus.

• Jerry Sohl's 1956 short story "Death in Transit" features a ship captain who feels lonely a year into a ten-year voyage and wakes a passenger he selects by looking at her profile, deciding she would be the perfect companion for him during the journey.

• Similar to the technique used in 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), scenes where the characters had to walk inside the centrifuge were shot hamster-wheel style. The set spun underneath them as they stepped forward.

• For Passengers, Jennifer Lawrence was concerned about what a sex scene with a married man (Chris Pratt) would be like. "It was going to be my first time kissing a married man, and guilt is the worst feeling in your stomach," Lawrence said. "And I knew it was my job, but I couldn't tell my stomach that," she added, saying that she even called her mom for reassurance. "You want to do it real, you want everything to be real, but then . . . That was the most vulnerable I've ever been."

• When Jim and Aurora first have a drink in the bar, the bartender --an android from the waist up-- says, "I cried because I had no trousers, but then I saw I had no legs!" is a reference to an old folk saying, "I cried because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet" - a caution to express gratitude, regardless of one's circumstances.

• Jennifer Lawrence claimed that she was extremely nervous performing her sex scene with Chris Pratt since it was not only her first sex scene, but the first time she had to kiss an actor who was married, and that she drank alcohol to fortify herself the day of filming the scene. (The claim that it was her first sex scene was actually untrue as she previously had sex scenes in Like Crazy (2011) with Anton Yelchin and Serena (2014) alongside Bradley Cooper.)

• The metallic model of a skyscraper that Jim makes for Aurora is a model of the Chrysler Building in New York City, completed in 1930. Earlier in the movie, Jim hears Aurora saying in her profile video, "Yeah, I'll miss New York City. Give me a cup of coffee and a view of the Chrysler Building, and I can write all day". By giving Aurora the model, Jim is giving her a "view" of the Chrysler building to write by. It also suggests that the building has survived into the distant future.

• Regarding the ethical implications of the hero's choice early in the film, director Morten Tyldum said, "I think most of us, faced with the same choice, would have done the same thing. Making a movie that leaves people room to argue about what they would have done - or could have forgiven - makes for fascinating storytelling."

• In Jim's room you can see the brand sign (logo) of Village Roadshow Pictures as part of the decorations inside the room. Specifically, the stairway leading to his bed is vaguely in the shape of the logo.

• Arcturus is a red giant approximately 26 times the size of our own sun, which would extend past the orbit of Mercurius.

• The story and screenplay for "Passengers" were developed at Keanu Reeves and Stephen Hamel's production company, Company Films. Reeves and Rachel McAdams were at one time attached to star, with Brian Kirk attached to direct. Hamel went on to produce the film in the end.

• When Jim is sleeping, the Aurora Borealis is displayed on the monitor on the wall, thus reversing the role play of Jim watching Aurora sleep.

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb