Blade II - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Fan of Blade II or just want to share your movie knowledge? This topic is dedicated to all trivia and questions related to Blade II

• Blade II - Trivia, Questions and Fun Facts

• Luke Goss had ten weeks of boxing, karate and combat training to get himself down to 5% body fat.

• Wesley Snipes was not always available for each day of filming for this movie, which came out in 2002. During 2002, Wesley starred in 3 other films aside from Blade 2. Instead of waiting for Wesley to become available, the crew shot another actor (who was not Wesley's stunt double) for scenes where it was not necessary to see Wesley's face. The first scene being where Blade, Scud. and Nyssa are riding in the helicopter to meet Damaskinos. The second was after Nyssa performed an autopsy on the dead reaper and confronts Blade in his quarters about his attitude toward the Bloodpack.

• Wesley Snipes has admitted this is his personal favorite Blade movie.

• Stephen Norrington of Blade (1998) turned down the chance to direct as he wanted to move onto other things.

• Over 30 members of the cast and crew were temporarily blinded by the misuse of UV lights in the vampire autopsy scene.

• The Bloodpack character Verlaine was originally scripted to be the twin sister of Racquel, the vampire in Blade (1998) that was played by Traci Lords.

• (at around 9 mins) When Rush takes Blade to the place where Wistler is held, he speaks "vampire language" through the door for the other one to open. He clearly says "Torrentetres" which is a reference to the Spanish film Torrente 3: El protector (2005) which was in production at the time, and which was directed by Santiago Segura (actor who portrays Rush).

• David S. Goyer's original idea was to use Morbius as a primary villain, but Marvel decided they wanted to retain the rights to make an entirely separate franchise out of Morbius - i.e. a Morbius film, so the story was changed slightly and Jared Nomak was created to be used as the primary villain instead.

• The body armour that Whistler is seen wearing in a large amount of the film is actually blades body armour from the first movie. It looks too big on whistler which gives further meaning behind a line in the first movie where blade says a UV flashlight is "still heavy" and whistler replies "but you're so big".

• The clock seen on the back wall of Damaskinos' lair is a reproduction of the Orloj, or astronomical clock of the city of Prague. It's purpose is not only to tell the time but also to show the Earth's position relative to the sun, moon and the cosmos.

• To get the movie with an R-Rating, green blood was used for the reapers.

• Although it is often thought that the Reaper vampires in this film served as the inspiration for Guillermo del Toro's vampire series The Strain (2014), it is actually the opposite that is true. Del Toro had originally conceptualized the Strigoi, which are the vampire antagonists in The Strain, many years prior to the creation of Blade 2. He utilized his own original concept and changed certain aspects about it for Blade 2 so that it would still stand somewhat independently of his original work.

• Scud's name is a reference to yet another comic book, "Scud: The Disposable Assassin."

• Tim Curry was considered for Damaskinos.

• (at around 1h 8 mins) When Blade tells Whistler to keep your friends close and your enemies closer, he moves to the right, as you can see Scud over his left shoulder.

• (at around 25 mins) When Damaskinos mentions the virus that causes vampirism, he says "parvovirus", though the closed captioning says "horrible virus" because of the obscurity of the term. Parvovirus is a true virus type, and meets all the requirements for creating vampires in a fictional environment. The term was too obscure for most people to recognize, other than experts in virology.

• Stepping back into Blade's shoes was a challenge Wesley Snipes relished. "I love playing this role. It's fun as an actor to test your skills at doing a sequel, to see if you can recreate something that you did," Snipes says. Peter Frankfurt adds, "Wesley is Blade; so much of the character was invented by Wesley and his instincts are so spot on. He takes his fighting, his weapons and attitude very seriously. He's incredibly focused, but he's also very cool and fun." "Wesley knows Blade better than David Goyer, better than me, better than anyone else involved in the franchise," adds Guillermo del Toro. "He instinctively knows what the character would and wouldn't do, and every time he twists something around, something better would come out."

• Scud is ordered by the bloodpack to hold open a reaper's mandibles while they're dissecting it. Scud is reluctant, but Blade calls him a "sissy" so he goes ahead with it. It seems out of character for Blade to back a bit of vampire bullying in favor of his human companion, but the end reveals that Blade knows that Scud is a double agent, so he doesn't really gives a damn about Scud.

• David S. Goyer and Peter Frankfurt both admired director Guillermo del Toro and believed his dark sensibilities to be ideal for Blade II. Frankfurt first met del Toro when Frankfurt's design company, Imaginary Forces, did the title sequences for Mimic (1997). "I admired Mimic and got to know Guillermo through that film," says Frankfurt. "Both David Goyer and I have been fans of his since Cronos (1993) and were enthusiastic about him coming on board. Guillermo is such a visual director and has a very strong sense of how he wants a movie to look. When you sign on with someone like Guillermo you're not going to tell him what the movie should look like, you're going to let him run with it." Like Goyer, del Toro has a passion for comic books. "Guillermo was weaned on comic books, as was I," says Goyer. "I was a huge comic book collector... my brother and I had about twelve thousand comic books that we assembled when we were kids, so I know my background." Tippett Studio provided computer-generated visual effects, including digital doubles of some of the characters, while Steve Johnson and his company XFX were hired to create the prosthetic makeup and animatronic effects. Del Toro chose not to alter the script too much from the ideas created by Goyer and Snipes. "I wanted the movie to have a feeling of both a comic book and Japanese animation," said the director. "I resurrected those sources and viewed them again. I dissected most of the dailies from the first movie; I literally grabbed about four boxes of tapes and one by one saw every single tape from beginning to end until I perfectly understood where the language of the first film came from. I studied the style of the first one and I think Norrington used a tremendous narrative style. His work is very elegant."

Make a Post or Browse

Browse Celeb Feed

Recently added

© DiscussIMDB, All rights reserved. DiscussIMDB is not affiliated with IMDb